Choosing the right family lawyer in a divorce can be difficult, but it is important to choose someone you trust and know will fight for you. It is best to know what you are trying to accomplish in your divorce and whether you and your spouse can come to an agreement or if you think you will need mediation. You will also need to know if your affairs are simple and if your assets are easy to divide. Knowing this information will be helpful when you begin your search.
Finding the best family lawyer: narrow your search
Make a list of lawyers and use the criteria below to narrow down your search:
- Do they seem to have expertise in the area of family law that you need?
- On their website, can you find any articles, FAQ’s or other informational pieces that the lawyer has done that that give you a level of comfort?
- Ask around and talk to people about attorneys they’ve used and whether they’ve heard of the ones you’re researching.
- Check the state bar website to see if the lawyer is in good standing.
- Check out the attorney’s advertisements, are they tasteful?
- Call the attorney’s office to schedule an appointment and find out if the person answering the phone is pleasant and if it’s easy to get an appointment.
Finding the best family lawyer: look for quality
- Hire a lawyer with at least a few years of experience.
- See if the lawyer is affiliated with associations that cater to your needs.
- Hire a lawyer with a local office near you.
- Before hiring a lawyer, get references from people who have hired the lawyer before.
Finding the best family lawyer: ask the right questions
- Ask if there are any conflicts of interests in clients the lawyer has supported before.
- Ask for a firm brochure and other promotional materials and crosscheck them with references and other sources.
- Ask for a copy of the lawyer’s retainer agreement and ask them to explain it thoroughly.
- Ask about professional rules which the attorney must operate under.
DeVoe Law Firm hires lawyers experienced in all aspects of family law. Contact us here for a free consultation.