Child Support Attorney


Modification of Child Support

Parents may experience a change of circumstances that justify modification of an earlier child support order.

The most common reason for a modification is an increase or a decrease in parental income.  A change the income of either parent can affect child support.

Some life events have a positive effect on income. For example, a parent may get a higher-paying job, have an investment return, receive an inheritance, or even win the lottery.

On the other hand, a parent could experience an event that has a negative effect on income, such as job loss, unexpected medical bills, or an investment loss. These events will normally impact the child support obligation of both parents.

Other variables that can affect child support include changes in child care expense, private school, health and related insurance, and uncovered medical expenses.  Changes in timesharing can also affect the amount of child support in your case.

It is important to hire an attorney to file your case as soon as you experience a substatial change that entitles you to abate, modify, or terminate child support. The court can usually revise child support back to the filing date of your case, even if you experienced a substantial change in circumstance before your child support case was filed.

Termination of Child Support

You may be eligible to terminate child support if a child is over 18 years of age or if timesharing has changed so that you have more timesharing.

Many old child support orders will not automatically terminate when a child turns 18. An experienced attorney can help you dissolve these child support orders. You should take quick action because it may not be possible to get a refund for support that is paid after the child turns 18.

DeVoe Law Firm can help you modify your child support, abate child support, and terminate child support in eligible cases.  Call for a free consultation.

Free Initial Consultation

Practice Areas

  • Woman stressing over alimony agreements
  • A child being pulled different directions
  • Children relaxing in park
  • Father relaxing with child
  • Group of children in a circle
  • Happy grandparent with smiling child
  • Couple playing with children
  • Father with smiling child
  • Happy parents carrying children
  • Picture of handcuffs
  • Person handcuffed
  • Children of various ages
  • DUI checkpoint sign
  • Children jumping in the air
  • Parents arguing with child present
  • Cluster of letter tiles
  • Judge holding up red card
  • Corrections officer and child
  • Father holding up child
  • Prenuptial agreement form
  • Children next to moving boxes
  • Window being squeegeed
  • Speed limit sign

Call (407) 284-1620 for a free consultation.

Free Case Evaluation