Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
DeVoe Law Firm Trials & Transactions
  • Over 20 years of Experience
  • ~
  • Free Consultation

Not Paying Your Child Support? Your License, Please

A driver’s license is a privilege, and it can be taken away.

Whenever you hear about someone’s license being revoked, it is usually for traffic violations. Either the person was arrested for driving under the influence, they didn’t show up to a court date, or they simply have too many traffic tickets. Unfortunately, there are many other reasons your driver’s license can be taken away, including numerous non-moving violations.

Some states will take your driver’s license away for parking tickets. Some will take it away for bouncing checks. Some will even take it away for missing school. In Florida, and many other states, you can even get your license taken away for not paying your child support.

While it is not one of the earlier steps the Department of Revenue will take, they will “mail a notice to the parent who owes support to let them know we will suspend their driver license unless they begin paying as ordered. If they do not pay what is owed or contact us within 20 days, the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles will mail them a notice of suspension and suspend their driver license.”

The requirement to getting your license back is either paying off the full balance owed, or working with the Department of Revenue and signing a written agreement detailing the re-payment plan.

It might seem strange for someone’s license to be revoked when they are already not able to pay their child support, but unfortunately, inability to pay is not the only reason some people fall delinquent. This measure is seen by some as the Department of Revenue taking a drastic step to help parents see child support as an important priority.

If you are ever in need of setting up a child support agreement, or need to have an agreement amended, do not hesitate to get in touch with a skilled family law attorney today.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation